Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sorority Rush for Grown-Ups

No, fearless readers, I am not dead. I know I haven't updated my blog in a while, but truth be told, once I touched down in Chicago last week, it has pretty much been 0-60 in about 3 seconds. From the moment I got home, I have been absorbed in sorting out the myriad of details pertaining to the move to the new apartment, which will be happening one week from today. Plus, I am *still* trying to finish my last project from this summer's work, which at this stage is clocking in at about 90 pages. And I feel like a tool that it is taking this long. And as of Tuesday, the one major ritual that all rising 2L law students go through has begun: On-Campus interviews, also known as OCI.

Ah, OCI. It's kind of like the sorting hat from Harry Potter in that the purpose of it is to place students in Summer Associate positions at various large firms next summer. So everyone interviews with between 15-25ish firms, and through a long process that takes several weeks of interviews and callback interviews, people are *hopefully* narrowed down to one (and not none, i.e. they can find a job). OCI is actually rather important, because the job a law student holds during their second summer, unless they suck really badly, often becomes the job offer they will have upon graduation and passage of the bar exam. So, it's kind of a big deal.

The OCI bit is what is going on now. OCI is basically sorority rush for grown-ups. I don't know how many of you all reading this have been in sororities and have gone through rush, but it is literally the same set-up in most aspects: over a week or two, students go interview with the firms that they received interviews with through a lottery bidding system. Every day there can be several interviews of 20 minutes, depending on your schedule. Reps from different firms are sitting in a bunch of different rooms, and students go from room to room, having many conversations. The major difference being that instead of rah-rah pants and matching T-Shirts, we are wearing suits. So, who knew the skill of being able to go around having short conversations with complete strangers multiple times a day would actually come in handy in the real world? And, also like the "rounds" of "parties" during sorority rush (excuse me, "recruitment"), if the shorter interview/conversations go well, and you meet their requirements, you will be "asked back" to a few firms for a larger, longer interview process at their office.

Over the next couple weeks, I will have interviews with 18 firms; so far, I have had 5 of those 18, with 3 more coming up today. The thing with OCI, however, is that you can't just go into it "blind;" it is expected that you actually researching the firm and your interviewers ahead of time, so it actually takes up more time than you might think. Plus, thank you notes. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens. About 2/3 of the firms I am interviewing with are located in NYC, the other 1/3 are DC firms. Unfortunately, I learned during one night of pre-OCI-induced insomnia, this whole process can take like 6 weeks, as firms are kind of on their own manyana man schedule about when they get back to people about any callbacks, and then about offers after callbacks. So I may not know what is going on for a while. But obviously, will post updates.

And so another spin of life's roulette wheel has been turned...

In other news, I started my volunteer work at PAWS Chicago, which is a no-kill animal rescue organization in Chicago. Had my second training session yesterday evening, so now I am ready to sign up for shifts, which I will be doing 2x/month. I probably won't be able to sign up for any shifts before September, however. Between OCI and moving, my August is pretty shot. But, I thought it would a good thing for me to have something going on that is in no way related to law school-- so I can have a well-rounded life. Plus, doggies make me less stressed as a person, and these animals really do need good homes; since at this stage in my life I can't adopt my own doggie, I am happy to do what I can to make sure that other doggies find their forever homes. The organization does really great work: since they started in 1997, they have reduced the number of euthanized dogs and cats from something disgusting like 47K in the Chicagoland area, to under 18K in 2010. Unfortunately, sometimes animals are too sick to save, but that is the vast minority of cases. Most animals that are killed, are done so just because of overcrowded shelters, which is just so sad and a real tragedy. So the other good thing that PAWS does, is provide education about spaying and neutering pets, which is really at the root of the problem. They also provide free and low-cost spay/neutering to people who can't afford it, including a mobile "spay van," which has really helped reduce the number of unwanted animals.

More information about PAWS Chicago can be found on their website. If you are considering getting an animal, whether you are in Chicago or elsewhere, please adopt from a shelter or rescue group. There are a lot of perfectly wonderful animals in need of a good home, and you will be helping to solve the problem, not encourage it through the use of puppy mills.

In honor of my new volunteer group, here are a couple cute animal videos (also since OCI really isn't conducive to the use of mixed media...)

So, that's basically been my week back in Chicago. More news as it comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment