Friday, May 17, 2013

Historic Congressional Cemetery

Today's finding-something-to-do-while-I-wait-to-start-work took me to the southeastern part of D.C., to mill around the Historic Congressional Cemetery. As we have covered in many posts, I like old things. I like history. And for these reasons, I really like old cemeteries. No, I am not weirdly obsessed with death; I just find looking at markers from those who have gone before to be fascinating. I think it is really easy to think of history in the abstract: as something that you know conceptually happened, but it's hard to imagine it being actually "real." I find old cemeteries nice reminders that yes, these people were real, had lives just like our own, that all the things you read about in history books, was at one point the living experience of the people who are memorialized in stone. I also always like to look at the birth and death dates of the tombstones, and imagine or wonder what it would have been like to live during the period listed. I also think it is really cool to see the tombs of famous or notable people -- the historical figures who it is really easy to think about in the abstract, but seeing their final resting place also brings home the fact that they were not just names in a historical story, but real people. So yeah, I kind of geek out a little when I go to old cemeteries. And for me, the older the better.

The Historic Congressional Cemetery then was the perfect place to go. Dating back to 1807, it has been in D.C. almost as long as D.C. has been the Capital of the United States. And it was specifically commissioned as a place to bury congressmen who died in office (although it expanded beyond that pretty quickly), so there is a lot of history there.

What follows are some pictures I took of some of the more notable or interesting graves, with as much of the inscription as I could read (some inscriptions were sadly washed away by the elements, rending them impossible to read, or partially obscured).

First view of the cemetery

J. Edgar Hoover, of F.B.I. fame

"James Bright 1799-1863 his wife Elizabeth Bright 1806-1885"

"Departed this life April 2nd 1809 in the 27th year of her age after a lingering complaint, Mrs. Mary Perkins of Nottingham, Pennsylvania, comfort of Jeremiah Perkins, of this city"

Grave marker of a veteran from the War of 1812

"Revolutionary War[!] soldier John Kinny, Lieutenant, 3rd New Jersey regiment, born October 18, 1757 in Morristown, Morris County, New Jersey, died July 17, 1832 in Washington, D.C."

"Richard C. Rynek 1st LT CO F 23 REGT MO INF. Civil War. Dec 1837 - Jan 1921." I think that translates to "1st Lieutenant, Company F, Missouri Infantry," obviously from the Civil War

"Peter Lenox, born in Williamsburg, VA, March MDCCLXXI [1771], died in Washington, D.C. December MDCCCXXXII [1832]." Thanks to my boyfriend for providing the Roman numerals translation

"Benjamin Homans[?], born June 23 1765[?], died December 10, 1823." I am not entirely certain of the years, but the months and days are correct

Example of a smaller, more modest marker at the cemetery

From the cemetery's brochure: "Cenotaphs. Although the term cenotaph means empty tomb, about 80 congressmen are buried beneath the 165 unusual Aquia Creek sandstone memorials, which were erected to honor congressmen and senators who died in office. The practice ended about 1870 when Congressman Hoar claimed the sight of them gave new meaning to the horror of death. The average cost was about $125 each." There were two groups of these in the cemetery. This was the first group I found

Grave of Push-Ma-Ta-Ha (1764?-1824). "He died in Washington, on the 24th of December, 1824, of the croup, in the 60th year of his life. Among his last words were the following: 'When I am gone, let the big guns be fired over me.'" From the brochure: "Choctaw Indian Chief, warrior and diplomat, served with Andrew Jackson [really?] in the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. While in Washington seeking payment of debts owed by the [U.S.] government to his nation, he died of croup in 1824 (the debts were unpaid until 1888). His military funeral, led by Senator Andrew Jackson [again, really?], stretched a full mile with thousands in the procession and others lining the way to his resting place. The guns from Capitol Hill thundered the tribute he had requested, 'that the big guns be fired over me.' This stone replaces the original, which was weatherworn." I will say one thing: this guy had the right idea about a final sendoff

"To the memory of Jane Summers Cook, consort of Peter W Cook, who departed this life April 19th, 1818, aged 21 years 8 months & 19 days. Also her infant son Orlando Bowling Cook, who departed this life August 8th, 1818, aged 10 months."

"William Gamble. Brig. Major N.J. Mil, Rev. War. January 15, 1833." I think that means Brigadier Major in the New Jersey militia of the Revolutionary War, died January 15, 1833

Memorial to a native American who served in the U.S. military

"Commander George L. Selden U.S.N., Born in Richmond, VA February 14th[?] 1813, died in Baltimore, MD February 14th 1864"

"The Honorable John Quincy Adams, a representative in the Congress of the United States, from the state of Massachusetts. Died Feb. 23, 1848. Aged 79 years." JQA! Only person to ever serve as a congressman after being the president of the United States

"In memory of General Peterson Goodwyn, a representative in the Congress of the United States, from the state of Virginia, who died February 23, 1818, aged 73 years." A plaque commemorating Peterson Goodwyn also read: "Commemorating the American Revolutionary service of General Peterson Goodwyn. General Peterson Goodwyn equipped his own company and was cited for gallantry at the battles of Smithfield and Great Bridge. Member of the Virginia House of Delegates 1789-1802. Selected as a Democrat to the Eighth and to seven succeeding congresses and served from March 4, 1803 until his death, February 21, 1818." Interesting to note the discrepancy between the two inscriptions regarding his death date

"Honorable Thaddeus Stevens, a representative in the Congress of the United States from the state of Pennsylvania, died August 11, 1868"

For those of you who need to refresh your recollection and saw Lincoln,

This guy

Image courtesy of bostonartsdiary.com

And what he actually looked like:

Image courtesy of biography.com

"The Honorable Henry Clay, a Senator in the Congress of the United States, from the state of Kentucky. Born[___], died 29th June 1852." Internet research says Henry Clay was born on April 12, 1777

"The Honorable John C. Calhoun, a Senator in the Congress of the United States. From the state of South Carolina. Born [__], died 31st March, 1850." Internet says Calhoun was born 18 March, 1782. I also seem to recall learning in A.P. U.S. History that Calhoun was a bit nuts, but I can't remember why

John J. Peabody. May 5, 1831. January 1[?], 1911. Mary J. Peabody. April 26, 1837. January 2, 1911. 'I am the resurrection and the life,' St. John 11-25.'" I photographed this memorial because I thought it was tragically romantic that the husband and wife apparently died within a day of each other

"Erected to the memory of our father and husband Joshua Gibson, who departed this life Oct 9th, 1861, aged 41 years. He was a kind friend, a devoted father, and a generous husband. May he rest in peace." Looking at the man's date, I wonder if he was a casualty of the Civil War

I found this marker odd; am not sure that I would want an overgrown bed of plants as my final memorial

Looking at the congressional markers, I was amazed as to how half of the people listed were serving in Congress (and dying) before they hit 40. It seems like everyone accomplished a lot more when they were a lot younger, than we tend to do today. I guess they kind of had to, though, since people were dying in their 40s and 50s. Kind of makes you feel inadequate, don't it?

One thing that was slightly odd about the cemetery, however, was the fact that it doubles as a for-members-only dog park, where people can go to take their pooches on a walk. Now, I love me some puppies as much as anyone, but it does seem weird to be having doggies do what doggies do on walks (if you know what I mean), in a cemetery. I'm not sure how I feel about that, given the respect one usually observes for the dead.

So yeah,cemeteries are cool. Particularly old and historical ones. And I do love the aesthetics and symbolism of a true stone memorial. I don't think (or at least I hope I don't) I have a terribly large ego, but one thing I have always been adamant about, is the fact that when it is finally my time to kick the bucket, I want to be buried with a stone marker. None of this cremation/ashes-to-ashes, scattered-to-the-wind BS. It doesn't have to be particularly big or flashy, like one of these huge pillars or mausoleums. But when I am gone, and when all the people who knew me and knew of me are gone, I at least want something (mostly) permanent to attest to the fact that I was here.

Historic Congressional Cemetery is located at 1801 E St SE, off of the Stadium-Armory stop on the Orange and Blue Metro lines. The cemetery proper is open to the public from sunrise to sunset. The cemetery also has a main building, and offers a variety of scheduled tours and events throughout the weeks and months. Check their website for specifics. Incidentally, they are apparently having a "spooky" tour on May 31, from 7:30PM-8:30PM. I might just take advantage of that, as I will admit, I do enjoy the spooky and macabre from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment